New users please
read the Site Rules

Saddlebred Rescue Angel Network - Burby the Burr magnet.
    Saddlebred Rescue Angel Network    

Username: Password:
Remember Me
I Can't Register

Register

Events Calendar |
 All Forums
 Off Topic Forums
 Rainbow Bridge
 Burby the Burr magnet.

The following people are reading this Topic also here:

Next Page Bookmark this Topic Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: American Salute Topic Next Topic: Oh Shenandoah  
Page: of 6

Nealia

Member #: 7
Topics started: 385
City: Blairstown
State: New Jersey

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 3:13:28 PM

Today we worked on Burby. My eval is as follows, the larger pony is at least 30 years old. The gelding is very quite and easy to work around, and does have a blind eye. We find Burby loves to eat, he just eats slow, so that means some one just flat did not feed him. This gelding is so thin that if we were to body clip him the would be nothing but skin and bones. The first day we had him he seemed depressed but today he was very bright and looking at what was going on around him. I had my smallest employee get on him and he is broke to ride, although for the very apparent reason of his condition we did not work him at all, just got on, walked in a circle and got off.

Jason will post pictures of before and after and you can see that Burby liked all of the attention. Burby seems to be a VERY kind pony. I could not have ask for any horse to stand better than he did while we pulled burrs out of his mane, forelock, tail and is body all at the same time. He seemed to know he was being made to look pretty.

lndywood
WC

Member #: 63
Topics started: 19

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 3:38:09 PM | Reply Link

Awww....bless you all and Burby too. I have tears in my eyes thinking about Burby. We too have a small white POA pony mare, Ginger. She is 32 this year, partially deaf, blind in one eye and her laryngial flaps are paralyzed making breathing at certian times of the year difficult for her. (humid, neighbors burning leaves) She is currently worth over 2 million dollars to me. There isn't an unkind thought in her head and is absolutley safe to put any child on. If they get bored/tired of cueing her, Ginger will stop and stand, no putting her head down, no trying to get to the gate or in the barn. Ginger will stand endlessly for grooming and the cerimonial picking of the hooves. For some reason that is all my kids wanted to do at ages 3-4 yrs old! Ginger is perfect...ain't pretty anymore, but beautiful in my eyes. And you should see her run, buck and f@rt up over the pasture hill. Each day we still have her is a blessing. My wish and pray is someone will see these same qualities in Burby and let him teach some special little person all he knows in whatever time he has left. A good, safe pony is VERY hard to find. We got our first one before we had kids, just because our vet found him for us and he was available. Don't let his age scare you or fool you!

Go to Top of Page

gameboynws

Member #: 6

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 3:49:20 PM | Reply Link

Go to Top of Page

ny_asb
WGC

Member #: 10
Topics started: 43
City: Penn Yan
State: NY

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 3:57:36 PM | Reply Link

Absolutely adorable. I bet he can't remember the last time he had tail hair that functioned normally.

That's my salemate....

ny_asb's sig 
Jonna

Go to Top of Page

lndywood
WC

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 4:45:31 PM | Reply Link

Bless his sweet soul and D@%N the fool who let him get like this..................

He is sooo cute!!!!!!!!!! (or at least he will be cuter once he gets his share of NWS lovin' and FOOD)

Go to Top of Page

SmartAlex
WC

Member #: 28
Topics started: 18
City: Jamestown
State: NY

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 4:59:11 PM | Reply Link

I couldn't figure out where we got Appy until I saw the freckled muzzle. Poor old guy. I bet he figured his life was finally over and it couldn't get any worse, and then voila' food and good care.

People who would do that to an old pony just simply suck.

SmartAlex's sig 
Visit Copy and Ace's Blog:
http://asensationalnightout.blogspot.com/

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. -- Mark Twain

Go to Top of Page

nvs1

Member #: 9
Topics started: 58

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 5:10:34 PM | Reply Link

Oh my dear lord.

I showed him to the boys at my house. Nicholas shook his head at the first picture and gave me an "oh Yesus" at the tail shot.

Sammy gasped immediately and laughed and clapped his hands- so funny kids don't see the filth and crust. They see thru right to the pony's soul.

nvs1's sig 
MORE COWBELL!

Find us on Facebook!
Nicholas Villa Stables

Go to Top of Page

lndywood
WC

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 5:18:29 PM | Reply Link

Quote:
Originally posted by nvs1

Oh my dear lord.

Sammy gasped immediately and laughed and clapped his hands- so funny kids don't see the filth and crust. They see thru right to the pony's soul.

Sharon, That is so right on. Some little person is gonna fall head over heels for Burby and see the pure beauty inside him.

Go to Top of Page

nvs1

Member #: 9
Topics started: 58

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 5:26:17 PM | Reply Link

Remember the Furby? The little furry robot toy? Burby is a Furby!

nvs1's sig 
MORE COWBELL!

Find us on Facebook!
Nicholas Villa Stables

Go to Top of Page

canter
WGC

Member #: 302
Topics started: 16
City: Columbus
State: OH

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 5:28:39 PM | Reply Link

Oh, what a gorgeous little guy you are Burby!!!! Thank you so much Nealia and Pat for bringing this one to North Wind!!!! He's got life in that eye yet. God Bless You for rescuing him!!! I'm about to cry.

Go to Top of Page

Hillary
WGC

Member #: 343
Topics started: 46
State: ontario

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 5:46:27 PM | Reply Link

Nealia you are a saint! Thanks for bringing home this motley little guy! He has some charm in there, you can see it in his eyes! To whoever let this little man get this way, well...pooh on you!!

Hillary's sig 
L
Proud adoptive Mom of Diogenes Vigor (1991-2008), aka "Victor", an SBR treasure.
God must have needed a beautiful horse to have chosen you my dear friend, I will love you always Mr. V...

Go to Top of Page

kmmed1

Member #: 46
Topics started: 138
City: Richland
State: IN

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 5:48:31 PM | Reply Link

Burby the Furby is downright cute! Especially now that he is burr free!

Go to Top of Page

rebelontherail
WGC

Member #: 147
Topics started: 12
City: Charleston
State: WV

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 6:42:22 PM | Reply Link

What a cutie pie!!

We don't have to worry for the person who let him get this way, they'll get theirs!!

rebelontherail's sig 

Saddlebred Rescue...where horses are saved, and happy hearts are made!

Go to Top of Page

magic
Administrator

Member #: 2
Topics started: 533
State: NJ

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 7:10:50 PM | Reply Link

That's Aaron on him just so you all know..

Go to Top of Page

Rarity
WC

Member #: 226
Topics started: 20
State: NJ

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 7:25:00 PM | Reply Link

What did you use to get all those burrs out?

He must feel so much better!!!

Rarity's sig 
Save the Earth.
Its the only Planet with Chocolate.

Go to Top of Page

Hey4horses
WGC

Member #: 29
Topics started: 138
City: Strongsville
State: Ohio

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 7:28:28 PM | Reply Link

Very cute little guy, and he looks so much better already. Thanks SBR for saving him.

Go to Top of Page

hayburner
WGC

Member #: 24
Topics started: 90
City: Princeton
State: MA

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 7:33:27 PM | Reply Link

Quote:
Originally posted by nvs1

Nicholas shook his head at the first picture and gave me an "oh Yesus" at the tail shot.

Not that the accent is funny (although cute) but I did laugh when I read this because it took me several minutes to figure out who "Yodie" was at Octoberfest.

hayburner's sig 
Gaitway Farm-- Home of SBR's Friendly, Suzanna, Tater, Kit Kat, and Fizz. Alumni: Lovely Rita, General, Quick Lee, and The Blues Brother. And Ranger visited!

Go to Top of Page

randy jackson
WC

Member #: 338
Topics started: 33
City: carthage
State: nc

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 8:00:40 PM | Reply Link

Oh, that poor, little old guy! I see the appy in his eyes, too. Thank God you were there and saved him. That's why I've never been to a sale, I know I'd come home with at least 1 like him.
Once, I had permission to adopt a dog from the local pound and I came back with a middle aged, skinny old setter with heartworms, that I named Jonah. The next day my dad returned him to the shelter. It just broke my heart.

randy jackson's sig 
Proudly owned by SBR Willow (formerly Whoee). When I can't ride anymore, I shall still keep horses as long as I can hobble about with a bucket and a wheelbarrow. When I can't hobble anymore, I shall roll my wheelchair out to the fence of the field where my horses graze, and watch them.--Monica Dickens

Go to Top of Page

Nealia

Member #: 7
Topics started: 385

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 8:02:52 PM | Reply Link

We spent about an hour with combs and patience, we had to be careful so as not to hurt the little guy. I was afraid to use anything that I had to was out as it was very cold here today (high teens).

at the barn right after we were finished Jason (pronounced Yayson by my Guys) ran over to Pepper our Yorkie, as it looked as if he was having some sort of seizure. Well between Yayson and I we found out that he had "burred" his mouth shut and in trying to get the burrs off of his face he managed to get one foot out the front of his dog blanket, and he could not stand up and was frantic to get de-burred. After this I decided I should check all of the dogs and sure enough Rowdy, Foxie and Taz all had burrs in and around their mouths. I know they thought we were dropping treats on the floor so they of course did not want the other dogs to get them first so they grabbed them up before they smelled them, or else they would have known that burrs are not treat like in ANY way. Noel (our Peke) on the other hand just help us sweep the aisle with her tail, which by the way resembled the before picture of Burby. My "peeps" required some clean up work before they went to the horse. I am sure if my dogs could write they would say "Dear Diary, Today was a painful day in the barn, I must remember to smell all treats before putting them IN my mouth"

You can just see my little helpers in some of the pictures.

[ Edited by: Nealia on Jan 03 2008 8:03:53 PM ]

Go to Top of Page

randy jackson
WC

Member #: 338
Topics started: 33
City: carthage
State: nc

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 8:24:34 PM | Reply Link

Nealia, that is hysterical! Although I'm sure your 4-legged assistants did not find it so! I have Italian Greyhounds who are often wearing jackets or pjs, and I've had the same experience when they get a leg through the wrong hole! It's terrifying til you figure out what's happened!
Bless you again for your big heart and open arms!

randy jackson's sig 
Proudly owned by SBR Willow (formerly Whoee). When I can't ride anymore, I shall still keep horses as long as I can hobble about with a bucket and a wheelbarrow. When I can't hobble anymore, I shall roll my wheelchair out to the fence of the field where my horses graze, and watch them.--Monica Dickens

Go to Top of Page

sdlbredfan
WGC

Member #: 54
Topics started: 27
City: Omaha
State: NE

Posted On: Jan 03 2008  At: 8:53:36 PM | Reply Link

I sent a link to his story to one of my yahoogroups lists (ecphotos), hoping he either will get a new home, and/or at least SBR gets some free press, LOL.
Jeanie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic: American Salute Topic Next Topic: Oh Shenandoah  
Bookmark this Topic Printer Friendly Next Page