Register

Events Calendar |
 All Forums
 Off Topic Forums
 Rainbow Bridge
 Franklin

The following people are reading this Topic also here:

Next Page Bookmark this Topic Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: THE BEST HORSE VICTOR Topic Next Topic: Shes The Mantis  
Page: of 3

AnneB

Member #: 606
Topics started: 152
City: Hardwick
State: NJ

Posted On: Dec 11 2008  At: 2:38:55 PM

Franklin is one of the thin geldings from Monday's adventure. Pat took some pics today, she will probably get them up later tonight. He is a tall horse, 16.2 quite thin now but when he fills out will be a big boy. This horse is really sweet, he Loves to have his head brushed. His ground manors are perfect and he is a perfect gentleman under saddle as well. Today I mounted him without a header (this was only the second time we have ridden him) and he stood like a statue. He stays to the rail pretty well, needs a little reminder now and then but that is all. He walks, trots and canters. His canter is a little uncollected right now and he needs a little wack start but I have no doubt that will improve with work. He already did it better the second ride than the first.
He is a tad lazy but considering he is very thin and malnourished I can't really hold that against him. I think his energy level may pick up with regular meals. Franklin shows a lot of potential as a lesson horse. Right now he seems quiet enough for beginners, we will have to wait until he is a little fatter to be sure. One thing that is certain is that he is a good thinking honest horse that tries hard to do the right thing. He is a copper chestnut and reminds me of Prophet both in appearence and temperment.

AnneB's sig 
Anne

elshirey
WC

Member #: 620
Topics started: 9
City: Grand Blanc
State: MI

Posted On: Dec 11 2008  At: 2:53:01 PM | Reply Link

I LOVE the name!

Go to Top of Page

magic
Administrator

Member #: 2
Topics started: 533
City: Blairstown

Posted On: Dec 11 2008  At: 4:36:16 PM | Reply Link

Go to Top of Page

magic
Administrator

Posted On: Dec 11 2008  At: 4:50:13 PM | Reply Link

He is 11 according to his coggins

Go to Top of Page

Hey4horses
WGC

Member #: 29
Topics started: 138
City: Strongsville
State: Ohio

Posted On: Dec 12 2008  At: 01:50:01 AM | Reply Link

He looks rather sturdy, can see why he was made a driving horse. So happy for Franklin to be getting a rest from the road and regular meals again. He's got personality plus coming through the pictures! Thanks SBR. Again.

Go to Top of Page

elshirey
WC

Posted On: Dec 12 2008  At: 08:30:27 AM | Reply Link

Oh, he has the sweetest face! Franklin is a find! :)

Go to Top of Page

rebelontherail
WGC

Member #: 147
Topics started: 12
City: Charleston
State: WV

Posted On: Dec 12 2008  At: 3:11:35 PM | Reply Link

What a purrrty boy

rebelontherail's sig 

Saddlebred Rescue...where horses are saved, and happy hearts are made!

Go to Top of Page

magic
Administrator

Posted On: Dec 12 2008  At: 3:16:11 PM | Reply Link

Franklin

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl A
Open

Member #: 506
Topics started: 0
State: OHIO

Posted On: Dec 12 2008  At: 11:02:46 PM | Reply Link

What a sweet boy.

Go to Top of Page

Rhettdgn
Novice

Member #: 988
Topics started: 3

Posted On: Dec 13 2008  At: 1:26:18 PM | Reply Link

This guy is on the younger side and he seems to be trying to do what your asking him-He does all his gears pretty well and seems to be on the conservative side-

NOTE: He...ah...can "use" those long legs of his pretty well for being on the road and he's got a great face!!!!

This guy is a diamond in the rough right now, but he will polish up very well- I really like this guy!!!! What a nice horse with alot of options for his future "mom" or "maybe larger peanut?"

You go get em Franklin-your a good boy!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Nealia

Member #: 7
Topics started: 385
State: New Jersey

Posted On: Dec 14 2008  At: 8:27:44 PM | Reply Link

OK here is the inside scoop. this horse gets two thumbs up from EVERYONE who is around him. Franklin is KIND, sound, young (11), does three gaits and gets better each time he is ridden. I think this horse would also do the sport horse thing (hunter type). He is laid back but is not lazy. It would not take much to make him a GREAT beginner WTC horse. This was me today after is ride with Julie!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

3kidsandahorse
WC

Member #: 90
Topics started: 18

Posted On: Dec 14 2008  At: 9:56:40 PM | Reply Link

I love that first head shot. What a look he's giving the camera!

3kidsandahorse's sig 
"Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Margaret Mead

Go to Top of Page

AnneB

Member #: 606
Topics started: 152
City: Hardwick

Posted On: Dec 15 2008  At: 10:44:19 PM | Reply Link

Franklin is a wonderful horse. He is already cantering much better, his starts are improving and he now stays in it without the use of the speed enhancement device. He has great potential as a lesson horse, I think he could do the beginners. He is quiet and kind. He would also be lovely in hunter tack. This horse reminds me of Prophet both in appearance and temperament.

AnneB's sig 
Anne

Go to Top of Page

elshirey
WC

Posted On: Dec 16 2008  At: 08:32:24 AM | Reply Link

Wow, Franklin really seems to be coming along. I bet with some more food, TLC, and work, he will not even look like the same horse!

Go to Top of Page

Travhest
Open

Member #: 1023
City: Skedsmokorset
State: Akershus

Posted On: Dec 17 2008  At: 07:34:02 AM | Reply Link

Quote:
Originally posted by Hey4horses

He looks rather sturdy, can see why he was made a driving horse.

Superb! Absolutely brilliant! And of what appears to be a more seldom type - A tall, more sturdily built Saddlebred! That is the kind of ASB I would absolutely love to have, being around 6' myself. So many of the horses I seem to see today, including in the Saddlebred magazine, seem extremely fine and porcelain like. Beautiful, exquisite creatures, deerlike porcelain figures almost. Is that the way they are supposed to be, or is that what they have evolved over time to become? Is Franklin also a bit broader in the chest and not quite so narrow behind as many other horses I have observed? One tries to imagine him filled out and sassy...I would imagine he would be magnificent. Big strapping red copper horse.

I have noticed that all the photos of the rescue horses show them going in the saddle seat style of equitation. Is this because that is the riding style that suits them best? Does this mean as a rule, the SBR horses are neither intended nor suitable for going in other, non-saddle seat/academy disciplines? Would a big horse like Franklin in time and increased strength be able to learn to round his back and gets his hocks under him? How do you think he would be under western tack, Anne and Nealia?

I keep going back to replay the video and look at the pictures to try and gauge how he moves, if there is stiffness in joints etc. Hard to see but is one of his knees, I believe the near fore, a little swollen, and is this something that will disappear with time, proper use and/or rest? As rescues, do some of the former road horses need to go on bute or medication the rest of their lives? Or are they just a bit banged up when they come in, but regain soundness with time and the proper management and care?

(Gosh, I don't suppose SBR would make an exception to the rules and allow one of their treasures to go abroad and become an ambassador, would they? I read that exhortation somewhere "if you are buying a horse, consider giving a home to a rescue"....something to that effect. That planted a flea in my ear. If one provided all sorts of character references and vet references, trainer, photos and whatever all else SBR needed to feel sure that the horse would never be sold on again, would you consider permitting a horse go to an approved home abroad? I have long dreamed of owning a Saddlebred, the dream horse was a big black ASB with shades of Rex McDonald or a big red one built like Man O' War....had been contemplating maybe importing a Saddlebred from America next year, started looking in fact but then had to put the whole thing on hold briefly while the family battles a court case. Hadn't thought in terms of a rescue before, but gosh...for the right horse, one could make quite a fairy tale out of it and simultaneously catapult SBR into the public and international eye as well. Perhaps it might do some good...............and Cinderella is my favourite fairy tale.

An OTT reschooled Standardbred and a SBR Saddlebred, riding an imaginative, well choreographed pas-de deux program to music..........the Cinderella horses....off with the fairies now...sigh

Well, something to ponder. Might one present the idea as a proposal for the SBR board to consider? If say Franklin, Rhett or Oscar were still there in February, when I expect to be in the NY and New England area anyway, might one visit the farm, meet the horses, and if the chemistry is good, perhaps discuss the idea? Goodness knows it would be easy from the point of view of shipping...most horses ship internationally out of New York and there are several shipping agents in the area, both serving the Standardbred industry and the FEI disciplines...I know, because I was looking into importing a Saddlebred earlier. Hmmmmmm.

Brains must be addled by Christmas. But the mind sees Franklin not as he is now, but what he could become. And I like the vision!

Travhest

Go to Top of Page

sdlbredfan
WGC

Member #: 54
Topics started: 27
City: Omaha
State: NE

Posted On: Dec 17 2008  At: 08:14:17 AM | Reply Link

Welcome to our midst, Travhest! Saddlebreds can indeed excel in hunt seat or dressage styles of riding, but the stable which is host to Saddlebred Rescue specializes in mostly Saddleseat and some Western riding styles. Also, many of these horses start out in their training in saddleseat training barns, and often end up pulling buggies if they are not going to be spectacular saddleseat show horses. Thus, that style is what the rescues are most likely to be familiar with.

The breed originally was supposed to have solid bone and substance, to be an all around using horse. The trend in the show ring (saddleseat, other than five gaited) has unfortunately been toward a weedier style of horse. Many of us who admire and love the breed do not approve of that trend.

Jeanie (on and around Saddlebreds since 1961)

Go to Top of Page

Nealia

Posted On: Dec 17 2008  At: 09:14:34 AM | Reply Link

I do feel that this horse would be a nice hunter type. The pictures of the rescues are usually with Jessie or one of my kids riding. Jessie is an equitation rider (amoung other things) when she just dinks around she looks like that. When we get a GOOD hunter /dressage rider to volunteer on a REGULAR basis then we can show you these horses in a different frame. Anne works the horses on actually doing their gaits, manners, manners, manners.

[ Edited by: Nealia on Dec 17 2008 5:09:49 PM ]

Go to Top of Page

elshirey
WC

Posted On: Dec 17 2008  At: 09:22:25 AM | Reply Link

I could see Franklin excelling in hunt or dressage as I think he could extend and flex over nicely. He has the build for it.

Go to Top of Page

Anke
WC

Member #: 26
Topics started: 40

Posted On: Dec 17 2008  At: 09:33:57 AM | Reply Link

Welcome fellow European! Yes, us Northern Europeans are a slightly bigger boned version of humanity. I too am 6' tall and find most Saddlebreds to 'fragile' to my liking if I would ride. However, I drive and size does not matter anymore!!

I am so pleased that you are considering a SBR rescue to import into Norway. We complain about shipping cost from NY to KY, I guess most of us will never see the shipping bill you will have........

Anke's sig 

"...a friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart"

Go to Top of Page

Travhest
Open

Member #: 1023
City: Skedsmokorset
State: Akershus

Posted On: Dec 17 2008  At: 5:49:33 PM | Reply Link

Quote:
Originally posted by Nealia

I do feel that this horse would be a nice hunter type. The pictures of the rescues are usually with Jessie or one of my kids riding. Jessie is an equitation rider (amoung other things) when she just dinks around she looks like that. When we get a GOOD hunter /dressage rider to volunteer on a REGULAR basis then we can show you these horses in a different frame. Anne works the horses on actually doing their gaits, manners, manners, manners.

Gosh, I sure hope I didn't sound critical about saddle seat. Didn't mean to be, and heartfelt apologies if I inadvertently offended someone...just know that it is a bit different to what I am used to riding myself. I do have Helen Crabtree's book, though!

But it is a good question: nice horses are clearly coming through SBR...how would you advise a potential adopter who does not know how to ride saddle seat to make the transition with a horse that has saddle seat in its past? Is this a combination that would not work? Or is there enough common ground between saddle seat equitation and classical riding whereby the language between horse and rider would still be understood, though they might be "speaking" in different accents? Supposing one adopted a former saddle seat horse but was not a saddle seat rider oneself...Are there certain things one should remember...ride with the hands high, legs off the side of the horse, sit very far back, use voice....are these things one would try to start out with, and then gradually phase in new aids? Or would that end in utter disaster? Would the horse fight being asked to lower his head and round his back in time?

I am used to sitting further forward on the horse, riding in the center, riding with hands lower, signals coming through seat, weight shifts and gentle squeezes with legs to ask for impulsion.

I shall fish out the Crabtree book again, read through and compare with say the Podhajsky book...would that be a good way to start educating and preparing oneself if one were to adopt one of the SBR treasures?

The discussion brings to mind something I observed at a show over here once where a Saddlebred rider tried saddle seat on her gaited Standardbred. She sat far back, hands high...different to the way she had ridden when she demonstrated his tølt a few minutes before. The change in the horse was striking. He went hollow, lost his frame, lost his balance, lost his rhythm, with his short neck the high hands looked all wrong and he started to fight it...it was like he went from right way up to upside down and hollow almost instantaneously. The riding style that looked so fine and elegant on the Saddlebreds was a disaster for this little horse...he did not look happy at all. So I wondered after that if saddle seat was something that was also conformation specific...something that not all breeds looked well under. Not compactly built horses with short necks and short backs at any rate. But again, I know very little about saddle seat equitation, have never tried it myself and only have book knowledge. That is not the same thing as the real thing!

Sorry...I got diverted from Franklin. Should this be bumped to a different area?

Go to Top of Page

Nealia

Posted On: Dec 17 2008  At: 7:00:19 PM | Reply Link

I am NOT a good typist so my answers are usually short.

1st I was not at all upset by your comments.

2nd we work these horses in a balanced type style. We rarely MAKE then set their heads any where but where they are comfortable. Most of these horses have worn an overcheck for years and will tend to carry their heads a little higher and their noses out. When I recommend on for hunt seat or sport horse it is because I feel they have the stride and their head carriage would be more suitable in a different frame than that of a saddlebred show horse (saddleseat). I would not worry to much and the fine details of this horse as to date he is VERY willing to do what has been ask of him and learn some new things also. This horse is thin and at this date he is VERY low keyed. This could change as he fattens up but something tells me he will always be a good boy.

3rd I am not opposed to the horse being adopted by someone in Norway as long as the board OK's it and as long as everything is in order. This is a rescue not a show horse. The difference to me is simple... show horses should do more FOR you at first, and the rescues need more FROM you for a while, whether it be work, attention, shoeing-feet or soundness issues. It would be costly to decide this horse would not work and send him back.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: THE BEST HORSE VICTOR Topic Next Topic: Shes The Mantis  
Bookmark this Topic Printer Friendly Next Page