Register

Events Calendar |
 All Forums
 Save Our Saddlebreds
 Non SBR available Horses
 Saddlebred for adoption in Fl

The following people are reading this Topic also here:

Next Page Bookmark this Topic Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Free Saddlebreds in New Hampshire Topic Next Topic: Tiff needs a home in Colorado  
Page: of 2

summerbreeze
Academy

Member #: 1046
Topics started: 1
City: Lake Helen
State: FL

Posted On: Dec 30 2008  At: 4:44:05 PM

I bought this horse to get him out of his situation. The man that had him admitted to starving him to feed the others since he didn't want him any more. He has a fresh coggins and feet. He is suppose to be UTD on shots and dental (working on getting his medical records). He is 16hh, 20yo, and from what I'm told, is suppose to be 5 gaited. He rides and drives. He loads, clips, ties, fly sprays, hoses, and does the farrier well! He does crib, and because he has been allowed to this for so long, his front teeth don't touch, and has to have hay since he can't pull grass. I am in no way a Saddlebred person, but I have to say he is very impressive to be around and super smooth (rode for 10 minutes to evaluate). Very high head carriage! He is still really thin and will need a bunch more weight. I've had him for a week and a half, and he's already put on weight! (amazing what feeding them can do) I only have $200 in him and thats all I'm asking to get back. I'd just like to see him go to a knowledgable caring home. Like I said, I just bought him to get him out of his situation. I have to make room at my barn for a rescue Clydesdale that I got in that turns out is pregnant too, and an emaciated Percheron thats coming in too! I have pics.

kim401
Novice

Member #: 466
Topics started: 7
City: Knoxville
State: TN

Posted On: Dec 30 2008  At: 7:35:49 PM | Reply Link

Bless You Summerbreeze for taking him in. I also took in an ASB mare and her 8 month old filly, both of them thin as rails, but will be able to keep them both. (needless to say the filly was not even halter broken, my hands are full!LOL) But anyway I wish you the best of luck, this forum is a great place to start, everyone here has a very special love for our ASB's.
Kim

kim401's sig 
Kim

Go to Top of Page

Hillary
WGC

Member #: 343
Topics started: 46
State: ontario

Posted On: Dec 30 2008  At: 9:40:39 PM | Reply Link

Summerbreeze, does the horse have papers or do you know his registered name? If so that may be a place to start, sometimes past owners are horrified to find their horses are in these situations and either want them back or know someone who would give them a home. Just a thought, you never know...If you know his name I can look up the history of his owners for you if you like. Thank you for stepping in and giving this boy a chance, best of luck in finding him a home, you have chosen a great place to start!

Hillary's sig 
L
Proud adoptive Mom of Diogenes Vigor (1991-2008), aka "Victor", an SBR treasure.
God must have needed a beautiful horse to have chosen you my dear friend, I will love you always Mr. V...

Go to Top of Page

magic
Administrator

Member #: 2
Topics started: 533
City: Blairstown
State: NJ

Posted On: Dec 30 2008  At: 10:11:19 PM | Reply Link

I just sent a link to this topic to somebody in Florida who was asing for a gaited horse. If you don't hear from somebody in a couple days let me know.

pat@saddlebredrescue.com

Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
Academy

Posted On: Dec 31 2008  At: 10:57:43 AM | Reply Link

Thanks everyone! His name is Rouge (Red in French) Thats all I know about him. Please keep passing the word about him. I usually keep my rescues until they're fat and ready to go to a new home, but I can't on this one.

Go to Top of Page

klstin0
WGC

Member #: 59
Topics started: 18
City: Lancaster
State: KY

Posted On: Dec 31 2008  At: 2:06:27 PM | Reply Link

I went to the ASHA website and did a ssearch on "Rouge", "Gelding" and the years 1986 - 1990 and came up with the following:

Cordon Rouge 1987 I realize that "Rouge" just might be a name someone gave him, and he may not be registered, but was trying to help you get some more information.

Bless you, summerbreeze for saving this boy!

klstin0's sig 
Karen
Paddy O'Malley, and the late June Cleaver (Agape's Legacy) and Mickey 5 (Jem's Harlem Dancer)

Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
Academy

Posted On: Dec 31 2008  At: 2:22:23 PM | Reply Link

Thanks for the try. ;) I've never been into any gaited breed, just not my cup of tea.lol I have truely learned a lot in the last week and a half, about Saddlebreds. I am impressed with them overall if they're all like this boy. I'm more a Draft or QH person. It's hard to accept that super high head carriage when your use to level and collected. He sure is a proud horse! He thinks very highly of himself.lol I think the nice tight ears (finger width between the tips) when they're forward, makes him even more focased looking. It's like a signature smile because he always has them forward if he's moving, or your handling him. Do they naturally carry their tail up when they're moving, or is that taught? He also has a quarter size area on the front of both front knees that is scar tissue (no hair). He's sound, so I don't think it's an injury type thing. Would that be normal if someone had used chemicals to get him to gait better?

Go to Top of Page

kmmed1

Member #: 46
Topics started: 138
City: Richland
State: IN

Posted On: Dec 31 2008  At: 2:42:13 PM | Reply Link

It's probably just scarring from something else. We don't use any chemicals to rack a horse. Do you have pictures you can post of him?

Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
Academy

Posted On: Dec 31 2008  At: 2:50:09 PM | Reply Link

Yes. Can you post pics from your computer, or does it have to be through a site like Photobucket?

[ Edited by: summerbreeze on Dec 31 2008 3:11:06 PM ]

Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
Academy

Posted On: Dec 31 2008  At: 3:04:03 PM | Reply Link

[ Edited by: summerbreeze on Dec 31 2008 3:09:10 PM ]

Go to Top of Page

sdlbredfan
WGC

Member #: 54
Topics started: 27
City: Omaha
State: NE

Posted On: Dec 31 2008  At: 6:02:33 PM | Reply Link

God bless you for saving this grand horse! Considering the puffiness in the hind legs and the appearance of the fronts, he most likely has fallen to his knees in the past, which would explain the scars. As Kmmed1 said, (and we are glad to set the record straight, lots of people get Tenn Walking horse 'big lick' issues confused with Saddlebreds and they are not at all similar), no chemical irritants are used in training Saddlebreds. Some of them have the natural ability to learn to rack, but that gait almsot always has to be taught to them. A few are what is called 'naturally gaited' and will amble on their own. I would be willing to bet his knee injuries have been a combination of overwork, underfeeding, exhaustion or missed farrier appointments or all of the above combined.

Jeanie

Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
Academy

Posted On: Dec 31 2008  At: 7:04:39 PM | Reply Link

Puffiness was more than likely the 3 hours he was on the trailer. He's not as bad now. I've gotten in some elderly rescues that were stocked up from their kidneys not working well from starvation, but all that cleared up when they started getting healthy. :) I'm hoping he will follow the same path. Edited to add that his knees are not lumpy. Thats the hair sticking out from below the scars. It kind poofs out like a cowlick on both of them.lol

[ Edited by: summerbreeze on Dec 31 2008 7:40:32 PM ]

Go to Top of Page

sdlbredfan
WGC

Member #: 54
Topics started: 27
City: Omaha
State: NE

Posted On: Dec 31 2008  At: 9:29:47 PM | Reply Link

He is going to be gorgeous when he fills out! I am so glad you've intervened because he is so thin, he would not have lived long without your help.
Jeanie

Go to Top of Page

klstin0
WGC

Member #: 59
Topics started: 18
City: Lancaster
State: KY

Posted On: Dec 31 2008  At: 11:45:33 PM | Reply Link

His markings do not match the ones listed for Cordon Rouge. If you can get any information on a registered name, we can get you his bloodlines and ownership history.

We can also search ASHA members on the website. I think it might be against the rules to post the former owner name, but I think it would be OK for you to PM it to me, if you would like an ASHA member to do a search for that name to try to find out who this guy is.

Like was mentioned, his knees sure look like he's been down on them, possibly on the pavement. Wonder if he was a buggy horse in his past...?

He will sure be a looker when he gets all filled in!

klstin0's sig 
Karen
Paddy O'Malley, and the late June Cleaver (Agape's Legacy) and Mickey 5 (Jem's Harlem Dancer)

Go to Top of Page

Hey4horses
WGC

Member #: 29
Topics started: 139
City: Strongsville
State: Ohio

Posted On: Jan 01 2009  At: 08:42:14 AM | Reply Link

Summerbreeze, thanks for taking an interest in this proud old guy. No horse, no matter the breed should be starved or treated this way. We appreciate your kindness and concern for one of our ASBs. I wonder too, if you can get in contact with the ASB association of Florida, in case they may be able to help place him. What part of FLA is Lake Helen, I am thinking it is North Central, but did not look it up. We have several forum members from FLA and when the holiday is over, and come on the forum, they may see this and make additional suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
Academy

Posted On: Jan 01 2009  At: 09:26:28 AM | Reply Link

The only info I have is his name on the coggins. :( The guy I got him from said that was his name when he got him, and he kept it the same, and that he's only had him 3 years. He didn't say where he got him from, but one of the popular auctions in this area is right down the street from him, so I'm figuring thats where he probably got him.

Lake Helen is in central east, Volusia County

Poor thing! I get visions of Black Beauty, thinking he might have been a buggy horse that fell down, then starved, and now rescued. At least like in the book, it's a happy ending. :)

Go to Top of Page

AnneB

Member #: 606
Topics started: 152
City: Hardwick

Posted On: Jan 01 2009  At: 11:10:01 AM | Reply Link

summerbreeze,many of our rescued ASB have had a very Black Beautyish history and I would guess this guy may have as well. The knees do look like he was down on the pavement at some time. He looks like a kindly old boy who will be very handsome when he has gained weight. Thanks for saving him. I hope a good home can be found.
PS. I know you have not had any previous experience with Saddlebreds but I can guaranty that if you keep him you will not be sorry! Saddlebreds have a way of winning you over.

AnneB's sig 
Anne

Go to Top of Page

sidesaddlerider
WGC

Member #: 822
Topics started: 78

Posted On: Jan 01 2009  At: 4:19:04 PM | Reply Link

Could someone post over on trot about this guy? Someone there but not here may be interested.
Summerbreeze, I'm with Anne on this. You may very well may have found your new BFF. Thank you so much for stepping up and taking him in.

sidesaddlerider's sig 
If you don't learn something new everyday, you're just not paying attention and if you already know it all, you have alot to learn.

Go to Top of Page

kmmed1

Member #: 46
Topics started: 138
City: Richland
State: IN

Posted On: Jan 01 2009  At: 4:47:18 PM | Reply Link

I did a brief search on him on ASHA, found close markings, but nothing Fla owned.

Go to Top of Page

magic
Administrator

Member #: 2
Topics started: 533
City: Blairstown

Posted On: Jan 01 2009  At: 4:54:53 PM | Reply Link

I believe he came from out of state but may be wrong

Go to Top of Page

Rarity
WC

Member #: 226
Topics started: 20

Posted On: Jan 01 2009  At: 5:23:23 PM | Reply Link

He reminds me alot of Duncan...
They have a similar look.

I hope some Florida Saddlbred people on the forum take him in..

Rarity's sig 
Save the Earth.
Its the only Planet with Chocolate.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Free Saddlebreds in New Hampshire Topic Next Topic: Tiff needs a home in Colorado  
Bookmark this Topic Printer Friendly Next Page