Page: of 2

LaurenAlexis
Starting Member

Member #: 1242
Topics started: 1
City: Jacksonville
State: Florida

Posted On: Oct 02 2009  At: 12:25:00 PM

I am looking for information on a saddlebred rescue I have taken in.

Fred was rescued the end of last year in Ocala,Florida. A man had him and had starved him nearly to death. He is a Saddlebred gelding, pushing 17 hands,the vet say he is around 20 yrs. old give or take a few. It is obvious he has been extensively shown in the past. He is five gaited, knows all his cues, bridles up nicely. Also drives very well. One thing that might help someone indentify him is he has an old injury, that looks like it was pretty bad at one time, possibly ended his show career. His front right knee is quite larger than his left and both are very scarred. He is sound on both but you can tell it was a pretty major injury at one time. He also has another old scar right down his belly that looks like it could be from colic surgery.

He came to us with the name "Rouge" which is french (i've been told) for Red which turned into Fred. He has the kindest, sweetest soul and I would just like to see if anyone recognizes him or could point me in the right direction. I know it is a long shot but you never know! I have attached a few before and after pictures of him, please let me know if you have any questions. He still has some weight to gain but is doing great. You can reply or email me directly, my email is LaurenAlexis4@gmail.com . My other question is if the Saddlebred Registry has some sort of DNA testing that can be done? Thanks so much for any information!

Fred when he was first rescued...

Fred Now...

sdlbredfan
WGC

Member #: 54
Topics started: 27
City: Omaha
State: NE

Posted On: Oct 02 2009  At: 2:40:11 PM | Reply Link

What a transformation! Some of his story seems familiar, and I found out why. He has another thread here on SBR, http://forum.saddlebredrescue.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2453

Jeanie

[ Edited by: sdlbredfan on Oct 02 2009 2:53:08 PM ]

Go to Top of Page

Nealia

Member #: 7
Topics started: 380
City: Blairstown
State: New Jersey

Posted On: Oct 02 2009  At: 3:23:06 PM | Reply Link

I did look on the ASHA website and I could not match any horse with Rouge in it's name to your horse. Sorry

Go to Top of Page

Hey4horses
WGC

Member #: 29
Topics started: 138
City: Strongsville
State: Ohio

Posted On: Oct 02 2009  At: 5:35:50 PM | Reply Link

That's funny Jeanie, I thought it all sounded and he seemed familiar. We already have seen these photos. He looks absolutely fabulous. Do you mind if I send this link to a friend in Alabama? She is a very good horse sleuth and is looking for several others. Good Luck with this kindly old ASB and keep ups posted.

Go to Top of Page

kmmed1

Member #: 46
Topics started: 137
City: Richland
State: IN

Posted On: Oct 02 2009  At: 9:07:22 PM | Reply Link

At his age, you could only go with blood typing, DNA testing wasn't available until about 2002.

Go to Top of Page

randy jackson
WC

Member #: 338
Topics started: 33
City: carthage
State: nc

Posted On: Oct 12 2009  At: 1:19:31 PM | Reply Link

Oh, that's where "Red Fred The Saddlebred"'s blog went! I'd been wondering what happened to him---- he looks wonderful and so happy---- thanks to you and the girl who initially contacted the forum about him. I'm sure glad there are caring, generous folks like you out there! Please keep us up to date on your guy, w/notes and pics when you can.

randy jackson's sig 
Proudly owned by SBR Willow (formerly Whoee). When I can't ride anymore, I shall still keep horses as long as I can hobble about with a bucket and a wheelbarrow. When I can't hobble anymore, I shall roll my wheelchair out to the fence of the field where my horses graze, and watch them.--Monica Dickens

Go to Top of Page

LaurenAlexis
Starting Member

Posted On: Oct 12 2009  At: 2:17:12 PM | Reply Link

Thanks everyone! Feel free to share him with anyone...someone has to know him! Fred also has a blog where you can follow his progress with pictures and all.

www.redfredthesaddlebred.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

jburns
WC

Member #: 461
Topics started: 9

Posted On: Oct 12 2009  At: 10:12:11 PM | Reply Link

Enjoyed your blog. Fred looks terrific! Thank you for saving him. He certainly has a couple of guardian angels...you and Summerbreeze.

jburns's sig 
jburns

Go to Top of Page

randy jackson
WC

Posted On: Oct 13 2009  At: 10:31:41 AM | Reply Link

I know Fred's got a show this weekend w/his little rider--- we want to hear about it, I'm sure they'll do great-- tell her to have fun!

randy jackson's sig 
Proudly owned by SBR Willow (formerly Whoee). When I can't ride anymore, I shall still keep horses as long as I can hobble about with a bucket and a wheelbarrow. When I can't hobble anymore, I shall roll my wheelchair out to the fence of the field where my horses graze, and watch them.--Monica Dickens

Go to Top of Page

elshirey
WC

Member #: 620
Topics started: 9
City: Grand Blanc
State: MI

Posted On: Nov 02 2009  At: 1:48:10 PM | Reply Link

Fred is looking great!

Go to Top of Page

LaurenAlexis
Starting Member

Posted On: Dec 31 2009  At: 11:46:06 AM | Reply Link

Sorry it took so long to post an update on the show! You can go to the blog and it is now up!

New Info on Fred:

We had an amazing animal communicator come out and he gave us some information that may help someone remember Fred.

-Name wise he said he was always called "Big Al" in his previous barns. He then mentioned "Free Willy" more as a joke but you never know.

-The communicator felt he was from the Kentucky Area, definately not any further north

-He showed for many years but Fred says "he was always overlooked, he was never good enough"

-He had a male trainer, was quite mean to him (the reason fred dislikes most males) He called him nasty bad names and really hurt him.

Fred didn't want to talk about his injury, he said when he got injured they took him away from all his friends in the barn and threw him out in the pasture. When they realized he was never going to be worth anything as a show horse they sold him to the amish. The most we could get out of him about how he was hurt was "he ran into something" the communicator felt this injury happened while pulling a cart, and he was pretty bad off. Do remember Fred has had colic surgery (or some injury to cause scaring down the center of his belly) before, someone cared enough to invest alot of money into him!

Thanks so much everyone and please let me know if any of this rings a bell to anyone!

Go to Top of Page

randy jackson
WC

Posted On: Jan 01 2010  At: 12:31:07 AM | Reply Link

Oooh how exciting! I'm headed to your blog! Thanks for the update and happy new year to you and Fred

randy jackson's sig 

Go to Top of Page

kmmed1

Posted On: Jan 01 2010  At: 05:48:24 AM | Reply Link

I searched Free Willy, and there wasn't one. There is a Big Al, but the markings don't match, sadly he is listed with a PA broker, sold through a Tattersalls sale.

Go to Top of Page

sidesaddlerider
WGC

Member #: 822
Topics started: 78

Posted On: Jan 01 2010  At: 06:53:49 AM | Reply Link

I could have sworn there was a Free Willy out there. A Hackney perhaps??? Could have been boarded/trained together.

sidesaddlerider's sig 
If you don't learn something new everyday, you're just not paying attention and if you already know it all, you have alot to learn.

Go to Top of Page

kmmed1

Posted On: Jan 01 2010  At: 07:12:42 AM | Reply Link

Free Willy is a many time WC road pony. I checked his owner list, and didn't come up with anuything.

Go to Top of Page

encore
WC

Member #: 45
Topics started: 16
City: north andover
State: ma

Posted On: Jan 04 2010  At: 09:27:41 AM | Reply Link

I had great luck with the Reg. & blood typing & DNA for Tall Paul- Manhattan Winds, Its a lot of work going through all the listing, You could have missed it the first time.
We also had an animal communicator come to our barn & did help with our SBR's. But 2 of them only sang the praises of 2 blond ladies, And if we had little kids,

Go to Top of Page

RedsLady
WC

Member #: 1239
Topics started: 11
City: Forest Lake
State: MN

Posted On: Jan 04 2010  At: 09:42:34 AM | Reply Link

Would someone consider that an elongated star or a star and short/faint stripe?

Go to Top of Page

ErinASB
Academy

Member #: 183
Topics started: 0
City: Wichita
State: KS

Posted On: Jan 04 2010  At: 4:59:19 PM | Reply Link

Wow, he looks so much like one of my old lesson horses by Lord O'Shea that we lost a couple of years ago. I miss my Marlene so much and so do the kids. She was so low backed, the kids just fit in there. Seeing these photos brought back a flood of memories. I wish I had photos on the computer to show you how much they look alike. In fact, I may have to do some Lord O'Shea investigations to see if there are any matches.

Go to Top of Page

janders
Open

Member #: 98
Topics started: 12
City: Ocala
State: FL

Posted On: Jan 05 2010  At: 01:56:05 AM | Reply Link

FWIW, Free Willy was here in FL for a few years, in training with Ruth Gimpel. Don't have any idea if that helps in any way, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I don't know where the 'mean man' would fit in, certainly not at Ruth's.

[ Edited by: janders on Jan 05 2010 02:05:19 AM ]

Go to Top of Page

kmmed1

Posted On: Jan 05 2010  At: 02:56:46 AM | Reply Link

Searched Rosberg's, as Ruth's major owner, and former owner of Free Willy, and had no luck. Ronnie Graham would not have been at Ruth''s in a time frame that works for Fred.

Go to Top of Page

RedsLady
WC

Member #: 1239
Topics started: 11
City: Forest Lake
State: MN

Posted On: Jan 05 2010  At: 09:12:57 AM | Reply Link

Quote:
Originally posted by janders

FWIW, Free Willy was here in FL for a few years, in training with Ruth Gimpel. Don't have any idea if that helps in any way, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I don't know where the 'mean man' would fit in, certainly not at Ruth's.

Does anyone knwo if Ruth has pasture boarders or AOTR's at her place? Could he have ever lived there and not been in training with her? Long shot, I know, but maybe if she saw his picture she might know of him.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: CLYDE Topic Next Topic: simon  
Bookmark this Topic Printer Friendly Next Page