New users please
read the Site Rules

Saddlebred Rescue Angel Network - DNA testing?
    Saddlebred Rescue Angel Network    

Username: Password:
Remember Me
I Can't Register

Register

Events Calendar |
 All Forums
 Save Our Saddlebreds
 Cold Case Squad (CCS)
 DNA testing?

The following people are reading this Topic also here:

Bookmark this Topic Printer Friendly
Author Topic Next Topic: nice    

Tink
Novice

Member #: 1291
Topics started: 12
State: VA

Posted On: Dec 13 2009  At: 10:07:27 AM

In the Spring I took on a skinny 17 year old dark bay Saddlebred with four socks and a few white hairs on his forehead. The girl I got him from never mentioned that he was registered. She did tell me she got him from Texas, so I had a friend look up bay Saddlebreds born in 1993 in Texas. He was a very close match to Lone Star Legacy (099226). I actually e-mailed the farm that bred this horse with his description including the fact he has some scars that resemble barb wire scars. They e-mailed me back and said they talked to the farm they sold him to and he is no longer there. They think it might be him but suggested I do DNA test to find out for sure. Can someone tell me how/where I go about doing a DNA test on my Saddlebred?

sdlbredfan
WGC

Member #: 54
Topics started: 27
City: Omaha
State: NE

Posted On: Dec 13 2009  At: 10:36:42 AM | Reply Link

I hope someone chimes in with the logistics. According to ASHA database, the horse you mentioned never had DNA testing done, just bloodtyping, not sure if that makes a difference.
('Registration #: 99226
Color: DARK BAY
Blood/DNA: 1993/N)
Jeanie

Go to Top of Page

locust_run
Open

Member #: 250
Topics started: 9
City: Clarksville
State: TN

Posted On: Dec 13 2009  At: 12:09:20 PM | Reply Link

Contact Katrina Adams 859-259-2742 ext. 324 at ASR and have them send you a blood-typing kit for an unknown horse and give them the horse's name you think it is. I think it is $50. You will have to draw the blood samples and ship back via priority mail and getting the results may take a LLLOOONNNGGG time. Keep calling them. They will check against the blood-typing for the suspected match and its parents. You can get replacement papers if it is a match, after they try to contact the last registered owner.

locust_run's sig 
check us out at:
www.locustrunstables.com

Go to Top of Page

ny_asb
WGC

Member #: 10
Topics started: 43
City: Penn Yan
State: NY

Posted On: Dec 13 2009  At: 3:56:24 PM | Reply Link

I just received a kit for Lady Priscilla. The guidelines are if the horse is under 7-8 years of age or younger, they suggest doing the DNA matching test. If horse is 9 years or older, they suggest doing the blood type matching test. They didn't start collecting and storing DNA until just recently (last 7-8 years or so). So on older horses, there are no DNA records. On SOME of the older horses there was never blood sent in.... But there are blood records on many. Jeanie says the registered horse you think is your horse has blood on file so thats very, very good!!

Your horse being late teens, it would definitely be a blood typing kit. The blood kit is $75. This will test for a match to the one horse you suspect he may be. For another $100 they will do a broad base search and search your horse's sample against everything they have in the database. It's really worth spending the extra $100 for security sake. Just in case!!

As locust run suggested, call Katrina at the registry. She's very helpful and by using your credit card, she'll send you out a kit.

Good luck and keep us posted!

ny_asb's sig 
Jonna

Go to Top of Page

Tink
Novice

Member #: 1291
Topics started: 12
State: VA

Posted On: Dec 16 2009  At: 2:40:17 PM | Reply Link

Thanks, everyone! I'll plan on doing the broad base search. I guess if it requires blood drawn, then it looks like I'll be waiting for Spring so the vet can draw the blood for it.

Go to Top of Page

Mona 129
WC

Member #: 1138
Topics started: 1
City: Harlansburg
State: PA

Posted On: Dec 16 2009  At: 2:45:46 PM | Reply Link

Quote:
Originally posted by ny_asb

They didn't start collecting and storing DNA until just recently (last 7-8 years or so). So on older horses, there are no DNA records. On SOME of the older horses there was never blood sent in.... But there are blood records on many. Jeanie says the registered horse you think is your horse has blood on file so thats very, very good!!

This seems to be the problem I have run into. No blood on file.

Mona 129's sig 
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Go to Top of Page

nishgau
Starting Member

Member #: 2526
Topics started: 0

Posted On: Aug 12 2017  At: 03:21:40 AM | Reply Link

Get access to free VC and Rp for nba gaming. http://2kvccodes.com/2k18 these VC and locker codes are real and working in the course of the game. Grab them today and start playing.

Go to Top of Page
  Topic Next Topic: nice  
Bookmark this Topic Printer Friendly