Author Previous Topic: Trish (placed) Topic Next Topic: Bobby  
Page: of 5

Nealia

Member #: 7
Topics started: 386
City: Blairstown
State: New Jersey

Posted On: Jan 30 2010  At: 9:02:13 PM

I do not think I have mentioned the horse that we picked up at the sale, but I am going to now the gelding is about 11 years old and he was well like by the family that owned him. We were told the kids rode him around the farm and since he had been such a good horse they did not want him to go to slaughter, so they called SBR. We also were told he was thin but when I took the blanket off of him I was shocked that they could not tell this horse was starved close to death. The pictures are really sad and, this is a horse that the family liked? We did test him out for about 5 minutes just to see how he rode and believe it or not he remembered the 5 gaits he had been taught in Saddlebred school. Pat thinks she has discovered his ID and he has been shown in the 5 gaited division. I am guessing he was not great in the show ring as he ended up pulling an Amish buggy. The average Amish horse to be useful should be able to pull a buggy 34 miles in one day. That would be 17 miles to the destination, wait a couple of hours (many times still wearing the over check) and 17 miles back home. These 34 miles are all on a hard surfaced roads! I can not even imagine what these horses endure day in and day out, as they are true beasts of burden, NOT our pampered show horses. We were told this horse was able to pull the buggy for 60 miles, YES 60 miles a DAY! OMG how could any horse do this for years! When I look at the shell of the horse that stands before me and wonder what he went through before his spirit and or body gave out it BREAKS MY HEART. This horse must have had a heart the size of his body to be able to take this kind of gruelling work. I think at one time we figured out that 34 miles was about 500 times around my arena and this horse would have doubled that. Can you even imagine going around a ring 1000 times in one day?

Mona 129
WC

Member #: 1138
Topics started: 1
City: Harlansburg
State: PA

Posted On: Jan 30 2010  At: 9:05:50 PM | Reply Link

Poor baby, I read that on your blog. I am really looking forward to watching this one turn around. He sounds pretty wonderful.

Mona 129's sig 
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Go to Top of Page

gameboynws

Member #: 6
Topics started: 19
State: New Jersey

Posted On: Jan 30 2010  At: 9:28:13 PM | Reply Link

Go to Top of Page

3mares
WGC

Member #: 1038
Topics started: 11
City: Alliance
State: Ohio

Posted On: Jan 30 2010  At: 9:29:19 PM | Reply Link

I have been waiting to see this one all day after reading the blog this morning. I'm also looking forward to seeing this one turn around!

Go to Top of Page

Hey4horses
WGC

Member #: 29
Topics started: 139
City: Strongsville
State: Ohio

Posted On: Jan 30 2010  At: 10:01:52 PM | Reply Link

I am speechless. Oh Me Oh My. Can you let him wear one of the new blankets and give him a kiss from me.

[ Edited by: Hey4horses on Jan 30 2010 10:53:42 PM ]

Go to Top of Page

hayburner
WGC

Member #: 24
Topics started: 90
City: Princeton
State: MA

Posted On: Jan 31 2010  At: 05:31:56 AM | Reply Link

Very thin. I remember you guys getting a few really thin ones earlier on, but not in awhile (like this). I know he'll be ok now.

hayburner's sig 
Gaitway Farm-- Home of SBR's Friendly, Suzanna, Tater, Kit Kat, and Fizz. Alumni: Lovely Rita, General, Quick Lee, and The Blues Brother. And Ranger visited!

Go to Top of Page

sdlbredfan
WGC

Member #: 54
Topics started: 27
City: Omaha
State: NE

Posted On: Jan 31 2010  At: 06:43:13 AM | Reply Link

Absolutely wonderful save and I agree, heartbreaking he came to you in such condition.
Jeanie

Go to Top of Page

Mona 129
WC

Member #: 1138
City: Harlansburg
State: PA

Posted On: Jan 31 2010  At: 08:23:01 AM | Reply Link

I wonder if there even IS a way to feed a horse enough to make up for 60 miles a day of exertion. I know its POSSIBLE, look at the horses competing in the Tevis Cup. But that takes tons of high level nutritional management and conditioning and they certainly don't try to do the Tevis Every Day!

This boy is SO worth helping. SIXTY MILES A DAY....omg!

I usually don't drive my CAR that far in one day!

[ Edited by: Mona 129 on Jan 31 2010 11:41:58 AM ]

Mona 129's sig 
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Go to Top of Page

LDK
Novice

Member #: 27
City: Blairstown
State: NJ

Posted On: Jan 31 2010  At: 11:01:03 AM | Reply Link

This guy is so sweet! He loves to snuggle and loves treats. I can't believe the spirit he still has. He is soooo skinny!

LDK's sig 
Lori aka "the carrot lady"

Go to Top of Page

klstin0
WGC

Member #: 59
Topics started: 18
City: Lancaster
State: KY

Posted On: Jan 31 2010  At: 2:58:47 PM | Reply Link

I love his face in the last picture, sort of like he's afraid he is going to wake up and realize all the food and love and warmth is all a dream.. "Can this be real? I only had to work for 5 minutes?"

I look at Mickey 5 every day and marvel how he could have worked SO hard for SO many years and still love people as much as he does. He gives me hugs every day, and "assists" me in cleaning his stall (and getting it just right), and of course he's on the ever hopeful quest for peppermints.. and completely sound. This new guy reminds of him, with that sweet, loving temperament despite what he has endured...

klstin0's sig 
Karen
Paddy O'Malley, and the late June Cleaver (Agape's Legacy) and Mickey 5 (Jem's Harlem Dancer)

Go to Top of Page

canter
WGC

Member #: 302
Topics started: 16
City: Columbus
State: OH

Posted On: Jan 31 2010  At: 6:05:19 PM | Reply Link

Only 11 years old????? This guy is an AWESOME CATCH and a beauty!!!

He probably has twice as much life left in him for someone to practice their horsemanship, trail, show and give the bestest love for eons.

I see a great horse here beyond the bones. Give GOOD TLC and he LOVES kids!!! Hogan is moanin' for love.

Thank you to the family for calling you and SBR taking him in. They know he is worth it.

These heart strings are tugging a me too.

canter's sig 
How About A Cookbook!

Go to Top of Page

Spirit
Open

Member #: 712
City: Cos Cob
State: CT

Posted On: Jan 31 2010  At: 7:07:07 PM | Reply Link

I was so impressed with Hogan. Despite his horrible condition, he was alert, happy, curious, and just enjoyed being brushed and loved during his stay in the cross ties today. He has not given up on life at all, he is just one happy guy. He has a really cute face, and he is going to be a real looker after he gains weight (which should be in no time b/c everyone was giving him treats by the handfuls). Keep your eye on this one!

Go to Top of Page

Saddlebredoutlaw27
Novice

Member #: 1074
Topics started: 16
City: Menasha
State: Wisconsin

Posted On: Jan 31 2010  At: 7:37:41 PM | Reply Link

Im just heart broken. This horse to have such an expression and willingness to be with humans even after the grueling trial he has been under, just gives me more fuel to be totally an ASB person.
I would like to know how tall this horse is. With time and care, could he be a low level/open show type horse?

Thank you

[ Edited by: Saddlebredoutlaw27 on Jan 31 2010 7:41:08 PM ]

Saddlebredoutlaw27's sig 
Horses, horses everywhere but the only one for me is that Saddlebred over there!

Go to Top of Page

RedsLady
WC

Member #: 1239
Topics started: 11
City: Forest Lake
State: MN

Posted On: Jan 31 2010  At: 7:45:55 PM | Reply Link

Oh my heart! I'm in love.... Please fatten that little sweetheart up. Please let me know if he needs anything special.

Go to Top of Page

elshirey
WC

Member #: 620
Topics started: 9
City: Grand Blanc
State: MI

Posted On: Feb 01 2010  At: 08:59:23 AM | Reply Link

Oh, poor guy. I am so glad that the owners called SBR instead of sending him to slaughter though. I am sure with some groceries his true potential will shine through. If he has a great heart now, just imagine what a shiny penny he will be when he feels better!

Go to Top of Page

bmwgirl
Novice

Member #: 993
Topics started: 7
City: Plantersville
State: TX

Posted On: Feb 01 2010  At: 09:55:07 AM | Reply Link

OM Gosh - he looks like he is smiling for the camera in the first picture!!! How adorable is that??!!!!

Julie
www.ridingaside.blogspot.com

bmwgirl's sig 
Julie
www.ridingaside.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

randy jackson
WC

Member #: 338
Topics started: 33
City: carthage
State: nc

Posted On: Feb 11 2010  At: 12:17:52 PM | Reply Link

How is Mr.Hogan coming along? I think about him every day and wonder.

randy jackson's sig 
Proudly owned by SBR Willow (formerly Whoee). When I can't ride anymore, I shall still keep horses as long as I can hobble about with a bucket and a wheelbarrow. When I can't hobble anymore, I shall roll my wheelchair out to the fence of the field where my horses graze, and watch them.--Monica Dickens

Go to Top of Page

AnneB

Member #: 606
Topics started: 152
City: Hardwick
State: NJ

Posted On: Feb 11 2010  At: 4:17:51 PM | Reply Link

Hogan is eating and chillin. He wil probably get to doing some light work soon.

AnneB's sig 
Anne

Go to Top of Page

randy jackson
WC

Posted On: Feb 11 2010  At: 6:40:22 PM | Reply Link

That's good! I picture him up to his cheekbones in hay!

randy jackson's sig 
Proudly owned by SBR Willow (formerly Whoee). When I can't ride anymore, I shall still keep horses as long as I can hobble about with a bucket and a wheelbarrow. When I can't hobble anymore, I shall roll my wheelchair out to the fence of the field where my horses graze, and watch them.--Monica Dickens

Go to Top of Page

sdlbredfan
WGC

Member #: 54
Topics started: 27
City: Omaha
State: NE

Posted On: Feb 11 2010  At: 7:00:06 PM | Reply Link

I figured out why Hogan is such a good name for him; he is a hero!
Jeanie

Go to Top of Page

randy jackson
WC

Posted On: Feb 12 2010  At: 07:22:08 AM | Reply Link

You know Jeanie, if he wasn't already called Hogan, I think 'Hero' would be the perfect name for him, aaaagh the song 'Holding out for a Hero' just flashed into my mind. Eeeek. As if I needed this guy in my head any more than he already is.
I know I'll be wanting another treasure but am hoping to wait 'til my beloved 27yo Appendix QH who is in excellent health lives out his natural life.
However, having said that, so far it appears that Mr. Hogan pretty much fills every single 'requirement' of my dream horse.
(except that he may be a bit taller than I need. How tall is he by the way?)
But, I mean, that's really splitting hairs. My admittedly long list of wants includes, sweet temper (well, we know that's usually a given w/the treasures), pre-teenage, sound, ride-and-drive, enough color to at least stand out from the rest of the chestnuts, and an extra gait even if only a racky-doodle, and not green, and not too tall (the ground's a lot further off than it used to be! )
Of course, once he's properly rested and grained up, he may be more game than I am looking for. I'm almost hoping that's the case, because if not, I'M IN TROUBLE!!!!!

randy jackson's sig 

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Trish (placed) Topic Next Topic: Bobby  
Bookmark this Topic Printer Friendly Next Page